Thursday, September 4, 2008

MSM + Chondroitin + Glucosamine for Hair & Nail Growth - Results after Seven Weeks


MSM powder has a nasty sulfuric taste. (Photo by Shiny Things)

For the past seven weeks or so, I've been supplementing with a powder containing 1,000 mg of methylsulfonylmethane, 600 mg of glucosamine and 400 mg of chondroitin per teaspoon. The idea was to see whether has other interesting qualities - namely, an effect on hair and nail growth - besides the horrible sulfuric taste.

If you Google "MSM hair growth", you're bound to find dozens of anecdotal claims of MSM's efficiency. My personal experience, however, has been a disappointment. I haven't noticed any difference in the rate of growth of my hair and nails, and definitely not in the strength.

The one study that exists on this subject concluded that 3,000 mg of MSM had a notable effect on the subjects. Thus far, I've been taking only 1,000 mg per day, which might of course be too small an amount to affect anything.

To see whether a larger dosage makes any difference, I'm going to start taking more MSM (and maybe skip the glucosamine and chondroitin). I'll just have to locate a product that is decently priced first - the previous one I tested was too expensive to take in quantities larger than one teaspoon per day. Capsule form would be nice, too, so I wouldn't have to deal with the unpleasant taste of the powder.

Go to next post on this experiment



Digg Technorati del.icio.us Stumbleupon Reddit Blinklist Furl Yahoo

4 kommenttia:

Anonymous February 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM  

Your body will not absorb MSM without adequate intake of Vitamin C and you should also coupe it with COQ10. THEN you will definately see an amazing difference within 6 weeks with your nails and skin.

Anonymous September 15, 2012 at 11:39 PM  

Anonymous is right about the Vit C! Also, you might want to (slowly) "up" your daily dosage. I personally take the capsules and I'm up to 8000 mg per day. Whatever amount of MSM that I take, the Vit C amount is double. That's right. I know it sounds like a lot, but it works. Any excess is excreted therefore it's not toxic. Also MSM actually detoxifies you.

Anonymous September 15, 2012 at 11:40 PM  

Anonymous is right about the Vit C! Also, you might want to (slowly) "up" your daily dosage. I personally take the capsules and I'm up to 8000 mg per day. Whatever amount of MSM that I take, the Vit C amount is double. That's right. I know it sounds like a lot, but it works. Any excess is excreted therefore it's not toxic. Also MSM actually detoxifies you.

Unknown March 18, 2014 at 9:00 AM  

Apart for hair and nail growth,three MSM/Glucosamine/Chondroitin delivers a solid nutritional approach for daily joint maintenance. This three-in-one joint health formula combines the bony process-building nutrition of glucosamine and chondroitin with the additional mixture of MSM (methylsulfonylmethane), which is a high-bioavailability source of organic sulfur, an essential mineral for ligaments, tendons, and other vital joint tissues. It helps in effective and economical joint nutrition.
The Big Three MSM/Glucosamine/Chondroitin

  © Blogger template 'Perfection' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP